SUSAN COOKIES

Monday, January 18, 2016

You know those trashy cookies you can pick up at the grocery store that melt in your mouth and make your pants too tight? OMG guys. So I love them. I can go hard on a package of those suckers and it's god damn miracle I'm not diabetic.

So it's cloudy and rainy today and I wasn't really feelin' a bunch of sweets, so I went for a soft shortbread type cookie with chocolate because I make no sense at all.

(Sorry the photos are so dark / overexposed. It's overcast as hell, like I can't even see the ocean today OMG so sad for me.)

You'll need:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 - 2 cups flour



Cream together your butter and sugar. Slowly add vanilla and salt. Add in the flour in 1/4 cup increments. Be careful of the dough texture; you want it somewhat dry, but not crumbly.



Once your dough looks like that ^^^ you'll want to form 1 1/2 in balls (lol) with your hands. Place each cookie onto a lined cookie sheet and put your thumbprint in them. Cookies do not spread out much, so you don't need to worry about them running together.


Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. While cooling on a wire rack, you can make the chocolate topping.

You'll need:

1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs. cocoa powder
1-2 Tbs. hot water


Using a hand mixer or a whisk, blend all ingredients together until a thick liquid forms. Because we're using hot water, the mixture will slowly thicken up. You can also add more powdered sugar (or butter) if you prefer your topping to be thick like frosting.

When cookies are cool enough to handle, pipe some of the topping into the thumbprints. Mine was extra runny because I was excited, obviously.

Chill the cookies for about 10 minutes to set them up, and enjoy.