I'm covered in glitter and sprinkles

Friday, May 8, 2015

The cool part about coworkers discovering that I am creative and generally good at art, crafts, design, and baking is that they now ask me to prepare all of the important design work for the University. I've created several widespread documents seen by higher-ups across the entire state of California, including party invitations, event programs, logos, and general design.

I've spent all week preparing decorations for a major event that I'm hosting next week -- my office is covered in gold glitter, tissue paper garland, party favors, and paper scraps from 9 solid daily hours of designing, creating, preparing, and decorating.

This morning I brought dozens of homemade cupcakes, frosting, and sprinkles for a coworker's surprise going away party; something that was sprung on me last-minute, in the midst of preparing for next week's event. My hands are sticky with sugar, my office smells like cake.

The bad part about coworkers discovering that I am creative and generally good at art, crafts, design, and baking is that while I am given these incredible tasks to complete, I still have to finish my expense reports, reimbursements, student placements, evaluations, and deal with frantic students during finals week.

I've been back and forth between my new home and my hometown the last two weeks with dentist appointments and barre classes. When I come home, there is usually a new piece of furniture to put together. Our den is nearly set up with our six guitars, two ukuleles, concert-sized keyboard, several amps, a Maschine, my sewing supplies, and soon a new couch. We're having friends over tonight and I see the ocean every single day of my life.

I'm high as fuck on caffeine right now but I'm overwhelmed with a sense of accomplishment, satisfaction, ambition, and contentment. I cannot wait for the inevitable panic attack that I'll feel from this espresso in about ten minutes.