Cashew flour pancakes

Friday, January 3, 2014

At the last minute, I found out I didn't have to work yesterday or today. Time off is a bad thing for me because I think of all the myriad things I want to do with those hours and I get really, really anxious.

Yesterday I attempted macarons for the first time. Their texture and proportions were perfect, but they stuck to my nonstick silicone macaron mat. I (sort of) salvaged two of them to make one sad little retarded cookie. My meringue was perfect, my almond flour was fine (in a sexy way), and they even had little feet (which I guess is the hardest part). Then I got anxious that I had spent $20 on organic almond flour that went straight to the garbage via my mouth because of course I ate the broken pieces.

This morning I wanted to make some healthy waffles, but was worried about using nonstick spray on my Belgian waffle maker and couldn't quite find a recipe that wasn't so god-awfully high maintenance with nut flours.

So I decided to mix up some nut flour rainbow pancakes instead.

Because I love talking about nuts going in my mouth.


Cashew Flour Pancakes (makes 5 - 6):
  • 1 cup cashew flour (almond flour should be fine)
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons almond milk (soy, coconut, rice, et c. is fine)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (to taste)
  • OPTIONAL: food coloring
Mix all the ingredients with a whisk or fork until blended. Spray a griddle or pan with nonstick spray and heat over medium flame. Pour batter by 1/3 cup per pancake. Reduce heat so they don't burn. Put the batter down flip it and reverse it.

I noticed that they smelled incredible, but the taste left much to be desired. I used coconut oil and (real) maple syrup to make them more delicious. I also added food coloring. They don't turn rainbow without food coloring. Don't be stupid.