Let me tell you something. A lot of people in this city are work-minded folks. I always ask people what they do for a living, not because I give a shit, but because I don’t know what to talk about unless we’re talking about work. Movies!?!? Who the fuck cares what a Gravity is? The new Eminem CD?!?! Fuck a dog. Who has the goddamn time? When I ask people “What do you do for a living?” it’s because I’m assuming that if they live in this city they are preoccupied with whatever goal brought them here.

Not everyone who wants to know what you do for a living is wondering how big your paycheck is or how you can advance them (after all... this isn't Nashville). A lot of people, myself included, are caught up with work and making a sustainable and fulfilling life for themselves because it’s a direct reflection of their happiness and... I dunno, their livelihood?

I realized a long time ago that a lot of people take offense to this question because they are waiters who’d like to be actors or some other “A” that’s not going to take them to "B." I get that. I get that more than I feel entitled to get that. So for a minute there, I thought “What’s your passion?” would be a good substitute question, and then some evil poorman’s Lisa Loeb freaked out on me one night in a bar and called me a user and a manipulator for no reason and it scarred me for life.

I think people just need to understand where everyone else is coming from a little better. I get that not everyone wants to answer that question, but I also know there are a lot of people like me out there that spend every waking moment strategizing in some capacity. Why else would I have moved away from my wonderful job in Nashville and settled down in one of the hardest cities in the world if I just wanted to hang out and have a good time?