Sugar-free, gluten-free, low GI Pumpkin Bread

Monday, October 8, 2012

Let me first start by saying this gluten-free fad is a total sham. Unless you have celiac disease, or an even rarer nonceliac gluten allergy, gluten is fine. When people complain about stomach cramping, bloating, diarrhea, etc. with their consumption of breads and starches, it's because they eat too much of it. Similarly, if you buy gluten-free products in stores these days, look at the label. Without gluten to bind food together, food manufacturers often use more fat and sugar to make the product more palatable. You're actually eating more calories, more fat, and more sugar, and missing out on essential vitamins, fiber, and whole grains found in wheat products.

But I digress...

I've mentioned before that I watch my calorie and carb intake. I am a firm believer in moderation, and not restricting foods that you love -- but simply making healthier decisions about them.

Cue the pumpkin bread.


I have a few boxes of quickbread mix in my pantry, but since my body image has been so bad lately due to my birth control situation, I wasn't wanting to eat a ton of sugar. I did some browsing online for an alternative, all-natural pumpkin bread that wouldn't make me want to unbutton my jeans.

Behold! A recipe I invited and, overall, think is pretty good. It's not nearly as good as the full-sugar, full-fat version (DUH!!), but it has hit the spot.

Sugar-free, Gluten-free, Low GI Pumpkin Bread
  • 15 oz. pumpkin puree (Libby's is fine)
  • 1 cup granulated xylitol (Splenda should work okay, too, but I used xylitol because Splenda scares me)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar replacement, baking powder, vanilla, spices, and salt with an electric mixer until well blended. Beat in the eggs, then the almond flour. Pour into a bread pan and bake for 70 minutes, until the bread pulls away from the sides of the pan a bit and a toothpick comes out clean. You may need to bake longer, depending on how moist you like your breads. Sprinkle sea salt on top of bread while cooling.

If you cut the loaf into 12 equal sizes, the nutritional info is as follows:
  • 130 Calories; 
  • 9g Fat; 
  • 6g Protein; 
  • 7g Carbohydrate; 
  • 2g Dietary Fiber; 
  • 5g Net Carbs