Monkey Bread French Toast Casserole

Monday, February 27, 2012


I've been seeing a ton of recipes for French Toast Casserole on Pinterest lately, and sweet breakfast foods are my weakness. I make it a habit to eat really well and exercise almost everyday, but put something sweet and loaded with carbs in front of me in the morning and I will completely cave in.

One of my favorite sweet treats, besides French Toast, is the pecan pull-aparts that Darien's mom makes during the holidays. I can seriously eat all of them, and the only reason I don't is because I am embarrassed. If my well-being won't stop me from eating them, vanity will.

I figured, why not combine both? It was a great pleasure to find that this recipe I invented was, indeed, a success. It probably needs some tweaking with the topping, so if anyone out there wants to try making this and has any suggestions, feel free to email me with your insight/results! I must warn you, though, this is not for the faint of heart, or anyone who cannot handle a big, giant glob of sugar in the morning (do you people even exist?).

Ingredients:
  • 1 loaf of sourdough bread
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 cups milk (I used the Hood brand lower calorie 2% and it worked fine.)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar (Splenda blend is fine)
  • 2 Tbs. light corn syrup
  • 1 box (3 oz.) butterscotch pudding mix
  • Small package of chopped pecans
Directions:

Cut up entire loaf of sourdough bread into small cubes. Place in 9x13" baking dish. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour over the bread cubes evenly (note: you could probably mix the bread chunks in the bowl itself, but it found it was fine to just pour directly over). Lightly sprinkle about 1/3 of the butterscotch pudding mix on top of the bread and egg mixture. Cover pan with saran wrap and chill in refrigerator overnight (at least 8 hours).

In the morning (or 8 hours later), remove from refrigerator and uncover. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan, melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup and heat until bubbling. Stir frequently. Gradually add the remaining 2/3 box of butterscotch pudding mix. Consistency will be thick. Pour over the contents of the baking dish and use a knife to evenly distribute topping. Sprinkle chopped pecans over the top. Bake on center rack for 40-48 minutes.

The bottom of the dish will be a sweet cinnamon french toast consistency, and the top will be gooey, chewy, sugary monkey bread. You'll need to brush your teeth at least 5 times afterwards. For that, I am not sorry.