This morning I woke up 2 hours before I needed to get up. I absolutely LOVE that feeling. I slept a pretty good amount, and I get to sleep ANOTHER TWO HOURS? I love it. I love it. I flipped my head on my pillow and felt so comfortable and warm. I sleep on my stomach, or my side-stomach. You know, with like, one leg up. Side-ish?

I thought sleeping on your back was only for pregnant ladies who were afraid to smoosh the growing fetus inside of them until a few weeks ago. Darien sleeps on his back and it is THE MOST ANNOYING THING ABOUT HIM (and like, THERE ARE A LOT OF ANNOYING THINGS ABOUT HIM). I started Googling around only to learn that sleeping on your back is not good for pregnant ladies because it puts pressure on some nerve or something that could explode and kill the baby.

A few years ago when I was buying a new mattress for at my parents' house, the salesperson told me that I was in the 12% of all humankind that sleeps on their stomach. Damn. Sleeping on your stomach is more satisfying than ten Thanksgivings. I can’t imagine that only 12% of the population knows how good I feel every single night. That’s so sad.

But now I’m really confused about back sleepers and how it is they live with themselves. Damn! Like, you’re sleeping! You don’t have to face anything! You can roll over on your side and get in a fun caterpillar position or you can roll on to your tummy and sleep like a father bear. I refuse to believe that laying on your back is more comfortable for anyone. It seems like another one of those lies people tell themselves to bring some order to their out of control lives, like calendars and all math.

I have compassion for folks who live in a world with too many boundaries, though. I do. Because I’ve lived in a world with too many boundaries, too. Self made, obviously. It’s not a good way to live, but I know what it’s like to get caught up in things.