Panic attack

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

So. It's official. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow at 2:30. (GET IT? TOOTH HURTY?) I about slapped the woman on the phone when she said it would be at 2:30, but you can't slap someone through the phone you idiot. Six years. Six years. SIX. YEARS.

I have always been a fan of the dentist. Always loved going. My dentist is this cute old British guy who hums the Carpenters while he lasers my teeth. Yeah. Lasers. No scraping. Just lasers.

I have never had a cavity. With the exception of one root canal I had my freshman year of college. I was chewing on a pen cap in my dorm room and all of a sudden I felt some extreme pain on my lower molar. I looked in the mirror and there was a giant hole in my tooth. How did that happen? I have no idea. I scheduled an emergency visit to my dentist, where HE scheduled an emergency root canal for the following day.

Have you ever had a root canal? They aren't supposed to hurt. They are basically regular fillings that just take a little longer.

Did you know that if the decay in your tooth gets so bad that it hits the root and you can feel pain, it is actually impossible to numb your nerve?

Did you know that is what happened to me?

Did you know I was given five shots of Novocain and my one nerve could not be numbed?

Did you know my whole face was numb EXCEPT FOR THE NERVE THEY WERE DRILLING?

I can't even finish writing this.