i figured out part of the reason i am such a bitch and it has to do with my snacking routine

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I’ve been unusually pesty and tired the past few weeks. I could not have been a bigger grump when planning to hang out with peeps. I think I snapped at someone on the phone in a pretty mean way, but most of the people in my life know that I do that from time to time and not to take it personally because I’m practically a manic depressive.

So anyway, I was thinking about it yesterday and I was like, “When was the last time you were in a decent mood and felt prepared to face the day? Probably last Saturday after sleeping for 20 hours.” I thought about what I had been doing differently for a long time and most things seemed to be part of my routine: Wake up, treadmill for 30-60 minutes, go to work, come home from work, write/design a little, back to work, come home and pass out. That all seemed pretty normal.

Then I decided to think about what I’d been eating. Lots of juice and Cheerios, hummus, yogurt (frozen and not frozen)… and then it occurred to me: I have inadvertently been eating more or less carb-free foods for the past several weeks. I opened the pantry and pulled out a loaf of sourdough bread to test my theory.

Maybe it was a placebo, but after eating a bunch of it I felt insanely better. So much better that suddenly I want to go see my friends tonight and not lay in bed, staring at Roseanne episodes on my computer screen and possibly crying.

Carbs, you guys. They has an importance.